George Peck was born just a couple of hundred yards away from the church in Queen Street where his father had a workshop and it was probably there that he learned to carve. He was baptised in this church on October 24, 1810 at the font near the west door.
In 1833, aged 23, he emigrated to Australia but returned to Hull and created these carved figures during the 1840s when the nave was refurbished and the pews were put in.
Afterwards he returned to Australia where he became famous as a musician and artist. He was a wonderfully talented man and teacher and is very famous in Australia.
Peck was also a first class violinist and known as the “English Paganini”. His self-portrait carving, situated in the nave, shows him with his violin.
Around the walls are Victorian pews which once filled the nave. The beautiful carved ends were crafted in the 1840s by local carver George Peck, who later emigrated to Australia.
Peck was inspired by the beautiful surviving medieval choir stalls, but are his own creation. Find out more about George Peck in the 'Read more' section of this trail point.