Near the western corner of the south wall is a marble plaque to Major John Shedden (1779-1821) of the 52nd (Oxfordshire) Light Infantry Regt.
He was from the family of Shedden of Windiehouse, from Beith in Ayrshire. He joined the 52nd – fellow-Scot General Sir John Moore’s regiment – in 1804, and commissioned Captain in 1811. He served throughout the Peninsular War and at Waterloo.
The newspaper cutting below provides details of his death.