The medieval font is beautifully carved from a single massive block of coralloid marble and dates from around 1380. It is one of the oldest pieces of furniture in the church. It has 16 sides, most of which are quatrefoils (a bit like a shamrock shape and an ancient symbol of good luck) some of which contain roses, and some blank shields. In one quatrefoil, a man is holding a spear directed towards a boar’s head, in the mouth of which is a fir cone.

The internal diameter of the basin is 2ft 9inches, and its depth is 1ft 2inches. Its external diameter is 3ft 6inches. The font was originally situated on the south side of the church near the vicar's porch, until it was moved as part of the Lockwood renovations in the 1840-2 and placed centrally at the west door at the entrance to the church.

Until this time the north door of the church had been used principally for entry and exit, perhaps because they more sheltered from the wind. However, the placing of the font nearer the door at the entry way to the church symbolises the Christian journey and the path of faith that one takes throughout life. In 2017 it was moved again, a mere 5 metres further into the church to enable the interior glass porch to be built.

Children and adults are still baptised today in this font, the same one that was used for the baptism of William Wilberforce in 1759. Born in Hull, Wilberforce became a politician and successfully campaigned for the abolition of slavery throughout his life.

We use warm tap water to fill the font for baptisms. Although there is a huge plughole in the font, the water has to be scooped out with a bucket otherwise it would run all over the floor!

Map X position
Map Y position
Panorama X position
Panorama Y position

Hull Minster's font dates from around 1380 and is carved from a single massive block of coralloid marble. It is one of the oldest items in the church.

There are 16 sides, each showing a different carving within a 'quatrefoil' shape - a symbol of good luck based on four interlinking circles that has ancient origins. Some sides contain roses, some people and animals, while others have blank shields.

The font was moved close to the nave's west door as part of the Lockwood renovations (1840-1842), and was moved again to its present position (a mere 5 metres further into the church!) in 2017 to allow for the new glass 'narthex' structure that is currently in place around the west door.

The font is still in use today, and it has seen many baptisms in the past - including the abolitionist William Wilberforce.

Touch icon position
Panorama icon position
Display on panorama
Design by Heritage 360 logo